Pages

Thursday 15 May 2014

Science experiment

Science experiment:

Question: What will happen to the sound if I change the shape of a piece of paper? (e.g. from a flat shape to a funnel shape)

Links to research about Sound:

Hypothesis: (What do you think will happen?) e.g. I think that…when my partner speaks to me in the funnel then it will be loud.

Materials needed:
paper,tape and a tissue

Experiment (procedure):

e.g. Step 1 - First hold a flat piece of paper against your ear so block your other ear.and block your other ear with your hand get your partner to speak to you what is the sound like can you hear clearly?

Step 2 - next, roll the piece of paper into a funnel shape.put the funnel against your ear. face the funnel towards your partner and listen to them speak. what does it sound like?can you hear clearly

Step 3 - next face the funnel to the other side while your partner speaks to you does it make a difference to the sound that you can hear?

Step 4 - put some cotton balls or tissue into the block end does it make a difference to the sound you hear?

Step 5 - Next, roll the piece of paper up and face one end of the paper roll towards your partner. Listen to your partner speak. Is there a difference to the sound you hear?

Step 6- Finally, turn to the side with your paper roll and listen to your partner speak. What is the sound like?

Data (What happened?)


Shape/object/materials
Results:
1
flat piece of paper
it sounds the same
2
funnel facing to the front towards my ear
it sounds louder
3
funnel facing to the other side
I cant hear the person speaking
4
tissue blocking funnel
i can’t hear my partner speaking clearly or loudly
5
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the front)
it sounds different
6
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the other side)
I cant hear anything   

Observations:
when the flat piece of paper is used and when someone speaks to me it doesnt make a difference to the sound. When i faced my funnel in the front It was sounding louder. When the funnel was facing the side i could’nt hear my partner speaking.

when the tissue was blocking the funnel I couldnt hear my partner speaking.when my funnel was facing the front I could hear my partner speaking but it sounded like she was whispering.When my funnel was facing the other side it sounded different from when i faced the other side.

Conclusion:
My Hypothesis was right cause when my buddy was speaking to me through the funnel it was very loud.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.